Some Globe brand 13 Watt CFLs are a safety
bulb failed after about a year of daily use. It emitted a strong
smell of Chlorine followed by a 'burned electrical' smell. The fixture
socket was covered in black soot."
I heard this brand of CFL was a danger. I think this photo (below)
proves it. In January of this year (2004) I installed about 20 CFL's
in the town house complex I manage. I used Phillips brand for the
most part but came up short (ran out of bulbs) so purchased two
packages of GLOBE CFL's from Canadian Tire. About 6 months later
I was in our storage area and heard a strange sound that I thought
might be from a mouse or two. Walking past one of the tenants' lockers
I spotted this lamp arcing and flickering. After gaining entry to
the locker, I removed and replaced it with another GLOBE bulb. It,
too, failed to work after a few weeks! Note, even though this bulb
was flickering and arcing, it was also working with the open envelope
and was working right up till the time it was removed.
Another user's comments:
Over the past year or so I have tried to replace old style bulbs
with energy efficient models like the Globe brand minispiral. I
have just become aware of the recall of certain date codes for the
13W and found that I had several in use in my home. The UL website,
CBC Marketplace and Globe's own site all list several date codes
which are to be recalled. However, when I tried to return my bulbs
to Wal-Mart, with my original receipt from Nov/03, I was advised
that these date codes were not on recall and only bulbs from 2001
were. This info. supposedly came directly from the manufacturer.
Needless to say I am very disappointed in both Globe and Wal-Mart.
But since I now need to replace my energy efficient bulbs, I will
be referring to your site.
Wal-Mart did refund my money on my return visit but it still really
bothers me that this product was sold in the first place and that
it took two trips to return these lights. As for the 2 for 1 deal
from Globe, I don't want any more of their products and since I
have replaced all conventional bulbs already, I shouldn't need replacements
for about 7 years, right?!!!!
Sincerely, Calvin, Chatham, Ontario
PS I have purchased other Globe mini-spirals in other wattages
including two tri-lights; the tri-lights burned out within a month
but I had no problem getting a refund from the TSC store here in
Chatham. You can guess where I will be shopping for my new bulbs!
Another user's comments:
I just had a Globe Electric Company 13W Enersaver bulb (from a
Home Depot in Kitchener, Ontario), correctly installed for about
two months, spectacularly fail in my presence (fortunately). It
made a hissing noise, went out and immediately started issuing a
considerable stream of very toxic smelling smoke. I immediately
unplugged the lamp and managed to unscrew the dangerously hot bulb.
It continued producing smoke (from the bottom of the base) for quite
a few minutes after removing it.
Your site notes a serious problem (as well as a dishonest use of
UL certification) with these particular 13W bulbs, but mine is from
a later, presumably safe date (code BH2604). I might add that we
also had one fail (without danger), in a different lamp, after only
1 month of sporadic use in a proper lamp in a dry environment. Neither
of the bulbs showed any damage to the tube (no burned spots) as
such and were carefully installed by turning the base, not the tube.
I spoke to customer service at Global and they make the case that
all that happened with my bulb is premature failure and that the
smoking I experienced is normal when a bulb fails and poses no fire
or health risk. She made the point that all of the materials used
to make the bulb are not flammable and therefore fire is precluded
and offered to replace the bulbs. She could not tell me what chemicals
are present in the smoke but insisted that they are safe. I, as
you can imagine, am not convinced. I suspect the smoke, just judging
by its smell, is quite dangerous. She also made the case that the
bulbs are approved by UL and Canadian UL who have much more rigorous
testing procedures than CSA.
Since I have been using light bulbs for over 50 years and never
experienced one that I thought might cause a fire or poison me with
its emissions, and since your reviews don't manage to convincingly
refute my distrust, we've decided to remove all of the many bulbs
we have installed in order to return to regular incandescents -
not nearly worth the risk.
> Back to main CFL article.