The Ancient Egyptians
Many are familiar with the old Egyptian empire solely because of the Israelite Exodus which occurred approximately 3,400 years ago. The Egyptian people, kingdoms, and Pharaohs were around long before that event however. Egypt has a very ancient and glorious history.
The Egyptian civilization, one of the oldest known, developed in the Nile River region well over 5,000 years ago. The history of ancient Egypt is divided into a number of periods, kingdoms and dynasties.
- The Early Dynastic Period (about 3000-2600 B.C.)
- The First and Second Dynasties
- The Old Kingdom (about 2600-2100 B.C.)
- The Third to Eighth Dynasties
- The First Intermediate Period (about 2100-2050 B.C.)
- The Ninth and Tenth Dynasties
- The Middle Kingdom (about 2050-1800 B.C.)
- The Eleventh and Twelfth Dynasties
- The Second Intermediate Period (about 1800-1600 B.C.)
- The Thirteenth to Seventeenth Dynasties
- The New Kingdom (about 1600-1150 B.C.)
- The Eighteenth to Twentieth Dynasties - Israelite Exodus
- The Late Dynastic Period (about 1150-330 B.C.)
- The Twenty-First to Thirtieth Dynasties
Fact Finder: How many years did the Israelites live in Egypt before the Exodus?
(a) 400 (b) 407 (c) 430 (d) 470
Bible History Index | Daily Bible Study Home Page
Daily Bible Study
Contact the Author or Web Site Administrator