St. Paul's Church came into being in 1860 when some German settlers to the area chose to organize a congregation with services in their own language with an emphasis on faithfulness to the Word of God.
For more than 160 years, the congregation has ministered to many people and continues to be a thriving church. During these years, the present structure was erected in 1889, an education wing was added in 1963, more renovations occurred in 1982, and new washrooms and a lift were added in 2008. English services were added during the first World War and finally replaced the German services by the 1940's.
In 1988, the congregation became a member of Lutheran Church - Canada, one of 300 Bible-based Lutheran churches in Canada.
Today our congregation, in conjunction with Lutheran Church - Canada, is very active in World Relief, Christian T.V. and Radio Ministry, and Bible Translation. We also generously support missionary work to save the lost at home and overseas; and we help maintain a network of Christian elementary and high schools in Canada, and two seminaries, Concordia, St. Catharines, Ontario and Concordia, Edmonton, Alberta.
St. Paul's has been served by eleven full-time pastors since its inception, all of whom have continued in the tradition of its first pastor, H. W. H. Wichmann, namely, that of faithfulness to the Word of God.
Historic Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was located
at 38 Ruggles Road, Floradale, Ontario. Trinity was a founding
member congregation of Lutheran Church Canada
Trinity held its final worship service in celebration of God's faithfulness in October of 2004. Trinity was a member of the St. Paul's, Elmira & Trinity, Floradale parish.
Trinity Church came into being in the early 1850's when some German settlers to the area chose to organize a congregation with services in their own language and with an emphasis on faithfulness to the Word of God. While a congregation is known to have existed as far back as the spring of 1852, it was more formally organized in 1860, adopting a constitution and the name of the Evangelical German Lutheran Trinity Church of West Woolwich, Waterloo County, Canada West.
For at least 152 years, the congregation ministered in a rural setting, offering a small and intimate worship experience. In some ways, the congregation was like an extended family. The most recent structure was erected in 1880, with renovations occurring over the years. English services were added during the first World War and finally replaced the German services by the 1940's. In 1988, the congregation became a member of Lutheran Church - Canada, one of 300 Bible-based Lutheran churches in Canada.
Over the years, as family members moved to the cities, membership and attendance waned. Early in 2004, the congregation decided that the kingdom of God would be better served and the mission of Christ Jesus better accomplished by joining forces with a neighouring Lutheran congregation. A final worship service and celebration of God's faithfulness was held on October 17, 2004. On that day, though there were many glassy eyes to be seen, the members of Trinity gave God thanks for their past. How many congregations may lay claim to more than 150 years of faithful Word and Sacrament ministry!
Since the closing of the congregation, 33 members (the bulk of the membership) transferred to St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Elmira. The building was taken down in 2005 after which St. Paul's assumed ownership of the cemetery.
For more information about Trinity Lutheran Church, view our PDF Book for a full history
Richard A. Frey
September 1989 - October 2021
Mervin D. Huras
November 1977 - January 1989
Ronald R. Reisdorf
October 1970 - September 1977
Dayton A. Fritz
July 1963 - September 1970
April 1929 - July 1963
Arthur H. Gallmeier
February 1918 - March 1929
Rudolf A. Eifert
January 1914 - late 1917
May 1899 - September 1913
August 1881 - April 1898
J. Adam Ernst
August 1863 - August 1881
Hermann W. H. Wichmann
April 1860 - May 1863